Sunday, January 23

realizations

being denied the promotion at work was one of the hardest trials I've had in my life
I admit I've lived a blessed relatively uneventful 'easy' life
you want something so badly but you just can't have it and it consumes you, completely consumes you.
you feel like you are in the middle of a bad dream and you can't wait to wake up.
but you never wake you, you keep moving day-to-day almost in a blur.
all my thoughts were centered on not getting the job

lucky for me I have a great husband who had the patience to help me pick up the pieces
he distracted me
he allowed me to cry, complain, and ramble(usually saying the same things)
he called ahead to family and told them the news
asking them to not mention it
his love and support spoke volumes even though he didn't have to say a word
nothing he could say would make me feel anything but
he just held me tight and loved me more and more
a friend shared with me the importance of keeping yourself busy when you are sad, or trying to endure a trial.
The more you sit around 'thinking' or feeling sorry the worse it gets
get busy
do something for someone else
get active.
and I've found that to be true throughout my life, but especially recently.
sitting in my little basement
no matter how clean it is
won't make my problems go away or make me feel any better.

as I read through the comments that you shared on my 'lemon' post I will admit I was surprised by some that shared.....I didn't know that many of you read my blog I was touched that you took the time to share your thoughts and love I realized...even though I don't have a friend besides my husband that I talk to every day or week for that matter there are alot of people around me who care.and it goes both ways.I care about you guys too. I would want to help my neighbor, church member or friend if they ever needed anything.but what keeps us from getting that help?
I think it's because we never stop and ask.
I can't ever think of a time that I called a friend or a friend called me and said,
'hey i'm having a hard week would you mind bringing Sam and I dinner?!'
I want to appear strong
I want people to think I've got it all put together
I don't want to be that person who always needs help
Well we certainly shouldn't be running around feeling sorry for ourselves
and making everything a big deal for attention
but...
we shouldn't be walking around all tough either.
letting other help us helps them... does that make sense??
it totally does in my brain but I'm not really sure why it works so well.

My last comment before I get off of my soap box
some of the most joyful happiest times of my life has been when I have thought of others(not just my husband) but those around me more than myself.
I truly gave myself, talents, time, energy to those around me.
while doing that I was happy and everything else fell into place.

This week I am going to seek opportunities to help those around me.
I'm not planning on volunteering or going out of my to find those in need
but I will be listening closer when a friend shares a concern
I will send a text or a phone call when I think of someone, just to check and see how they are doing
my goal is each day to do at least one thing for someone else, besides Sam.
I'm not doing these things for self-recognition but to give back to everyone who gave to me.

Join in, and focus your week on others too.

I know these photos are completely random, but I was reading a blog about taking your own self-portraits and while I've been home sick this week I decided to give it a try.
Sam eventually joined in too

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Abbie said...

Dooooooood (not dude, doooood), I'm diggin zeee hairs. You look so fine. Sorry to hear about your crappy couple of weeks with the flu and gay-dar cardiac rehab. They mega-messed that one up. Is anthony that asian kid that sucks at cardiac rehab? I know him. He sucks. I'll remember to spit on him or stone him the next time I see him. JK. But really, they messed up with that pickin.

Rachel said...

love your posts! sometimes it is just good to see what you two are up to or what you are thinking, but really chica you are inspiring! thanks for posting, know that you are loved, and this weekly goal is rad. I definitely need to stop trying to be strong and look for opportunities to help and be helped.

Stephanie K said...

i think you're great. hope i can be of service or help you out with anything you might need. you already said i'm on your speed dial so take advantage of it. seriously! :)

ps thanks for the chat this morning at the crack of dawn ;)

Mom and Dad Richards said...

Thanks so much for helping us. She was on rebound after talking to him. She had been soooo low for so many days. We love being with you besides. You two are upbeat and fun.
I am getting excited for your birthday. It's almost February.
Love you,
Mom Richards