Sunday, January 16

when life gives you lemons

disclaimer:
I'm not writing this post for pity or attention
I just wanted to share my thoughts and I know that many of us are constantly enduring trials
maybe it helps to know you aren't alone...


when life gives you lemons... make lemonade
I had some pretty big lemons thrown my way this week
the first couple of days I wallowed in my misery
I've experienced all sorts of emotions
anger, fear, confusion, sadness, hatred, self-pity, self-consciousness
but after a couple days of walking around feeling this way
i've determined it's time to move on
however i'm not really sure how to do it
lemonade is a pain to make

last night sam and I stayed in for dinner
together we made a delicious feast
breaded chicken with lemon pasta and broccoli sprinkled with lemon crumbs
I don't have a fancy juicer
that would have made juicing the lemons simple
Sam zested each lemon and I juiced it
our three lemons probably produced 3/4 cup of lemon juice
can you imagine making an entire pitcher??

So I ask you how do you make lemonade when life gives you lemons?
what makes you move on
where do you find your peace

a partial answer to this question came to me today at church
a line from a hymn
'have courage to accept his will'
whether or not you are religious you have to believe
everything happens for a reason
we have to have courage to accept our current circumstance and press forward

please share your thoughts...


8 comments:

Greg and Sarah said...

Amanda, I had no idea you were going through a hard time this week. I'm so sorry. Please let me know if I can do anything for you and Sam. I don't have a specific place I find comfort in, I think I have many. After my trial has passed I always realize there was a reason why I needed to experience it. I hope you have a better upcoming week.

Jill Kennedy said...

These types of posts throw me off. YOU having a bad week? Impossible. When I don't feel like exercising or making dinner (and the list goes on and on) sometimes I think of people like you. Even if you have a bad day or week, you always get back to doing everything. I guess that is the key; getting up one more time than you fall down.

Phillip and Maggi said...

I can honestly say I have had all of those feelings the last few months. I feel like I got dumped in a lemon orchard and that I'm never going to get out.

For me, it is just time that is helping and I still have bad days but I have to accept that the Lord has His reasons even if I don't know what they are... If you need someone to talk to I know I'm far away but e-mail me. Good luck... maggi411@hotmail.com

Jared and Ashley said...

Hey Amanda
It's been so long since I have talked to you! I'm so sorry to hear this week hasn't been one your best. I recently heard something in church that really hit home to me. "Our greatest call as women, is Patience." I've thought a lot about that lately and it can apply to just about every area of our life. Patience is one of the hardest things to attain especially when things aren't going well for us. We have to really have patience to ride the wave and have faith the Lord knows what he is doing. I've thought about you a lot lately. I hope this week goes better for you. You have taught me so much and I have really appreciated working and getting to know you. Love Ya!
Ashley

Amy said...

You're an amazing woman and I am soooo glad you're my sister. Please call or text me anytime. I'd love to chat...you know that I hope!

Amy said...

P.S. Sam I love you too! :)

Nichole said...

Oh neighbor friend. I'm sorry to hear about this, too. I think the lemon tree from Hell has been dropping bombs on your house and mine this past week, so I'm going through a tought time as well. A few of the things that have been getting me through: planning something fabulous a few months in advanced - even if it's a little road trip to Lava Hot Springs ... it's a get-a-way and something to look forward to; service - now I haven't realy figured out this one just quite yet, but I know that serving others brings blessings and happiness, but even just cleaning up after your own husband without complaining could be a little service; visiting teaching - I know this is a lot like service, and it really is 'service' but also it gets your reading, praying and thinking about and for others, which always helps to get outside your own problems; my last thing I've been trying to do is this: be happy. I know...simple, right? But, seriously, it's not. It's sooo hard to be happy when your life is falling apart around you and lemon bombs are a-dropping! But, I've decided is to just be happy regardless. I get jealous and sad when I read other people's blogs that talk about exotic trips, babies, happy marriages with no problems and beautiful homes just like everyone else who doesn't have all that, but what is seperating me from that life isn't only those 'things', it's also the attitude those people have! And my attitude is something I can control.
I hope maybe something here touches you and helps you out. And if all of these are terrible ideas, then come knock on my door or text me and we'll go get a little ice cream treat (sugar-free!) and cry together, ok? Seriously though. I would love to do that with you.

Rachel said...

I'm glad things are starting to look up, I know I have and would have felt all those same things, but I just know you have the sweetest lemonade coming your way in the form of something you couldn't have imagined! Love ya girl, hang in there, the future is looking bright :)