Monday, January 31

helping

I was recently made the young women's president in my church
since we moved in over two years ago we have worked with the youth 
it started out as being youth sunday school teachers 
then 1st counselors in the young men's and young women's
now we are the presidents 
i love working with the youth
i remember one youth leader in particular who made all the difference in my adolescence years
I can only hope to have a similar positive influence on at least one of my young women 
however in between church and weekly activities these girls need additional help or attention

for example one girl turns 16 in April and texted me with great excitement that she passed her test to get her learners permit.... hopefully she never tries to convince me to let her drive. 

another girl showed up at my doorstep needing help with a homework project due the next day 

but today I experienced something I never could have imagined. 
I was just finishing at the gym when I noticed I had a missed call and voice message. 
one thing I have learned with the youth is they only call if it's serious stuff
concerned that one of my girls needed some 'real' help I called her back 
she beckoned me to come over and that she really needed help 
when I got to her house she was duct taped from mid thigh to about her neck
i wish I had my camera!
she wanted me to finish duct taping her, her sleeves and neck
her mom was helping her and had to leave so she was stuck in this duct tape dress.
this cute girl just got a sewing machine and wanted to make her own dress form 
she youtubed a how-to guide and was trying to make her own.  
I finished duct taping her and then had to cut off all the duct tape 
When I left she was duct taping the dress back together and then would stuff it with paper 
quite creative
obviously since I didn't have my camera this isn't my young women, but I wanted a visual of what I was doing
I was surprised at how many pictures there are with you google duct tape dress form

(if you know the girl I'm talking about, which I'm sure a hand-full of you do, you can't say anything to her because she'll kill me for this... pinky promise?? thanks)

3 comments:

Stephanie K said...

oh this is hilarious! thanks for sharing - it was a great read. ;)

Nichole said...

Hahah! I kept looking at that picture thinking "Who is that...??"

sanda said...

you would think that being an english major you would have read the post and not just looked at the picture, but i'm sure you have figured out who it's supposed to be...