Wednesday, March 9

trying something new

being the baby of the family meant that sometimes i got babied
my mom made me breakfast and packed me a lunch
up until the day I moved out
sometimes she'd make me oatmeal
she'd put about 1 tablespoon of butter in it and a bunch of brown sugar
it always tasted good but it was never my favorite

boy does time change
and i swear i become more like her each day
(which is good considering how wonderful she is)
i love oatmeal now!

seriously every morning i have my bowl of oatmeal
after working in cardiac however i don't add any butter
i love how it keeps me full for the entire morning
i love eating something warm especially in the winter/fall months
 i love that i am getting a serving of whole grains and fruit
plus it's delicious.. to me
for months i've just added fruit and sugar, maybe some nuts
but lately i've been creative
if your an oatmeal person like me try these add-ins next time


yogurt, any flavor will do
i prefer peach greek yogurt
it adds protein without fat or added sugar
it creates the best creamy texture
throw in some blueberries or strawberries... fantastic!

or today I tried peanut butter
it also adds protein with 'healthy fat'
i thought i'll put some banana in there
i love anything with peanut butter
i wasn't really loving it, didn't have enough flavor
so i added mini dark chocolate chips
that did the trick.
apparently this combo has a name- elvis oatmeal
yum!!

can't wait for tomorrow.
do you eat oatmeal? what do you put in it?

2 comments:

w and w said...

YES! I LOVE oatmeal. Especially on rainy days. I love honey and fruit in it. Or I love the brown sugar in it with raisens, flaxseed, and craisins or raisins. YUM! Fun memory!

Rachel said...

um, pretty much every day...yogurt, berries, ground flax seed, slivered almonds, honey or agave and eat...delish! but peanut butter and dark choc chips...I must try this :)