Monday, March 7

loving my freezer

one of my new year
goal, resolutions, ambition, hope, dream
or whatever else you call it
was to waste less
I decided that by using my freezer more
I could waste less
PERSONAL EXAMPLE
since we've been married mr. r has made fun of our ice cube container
each cube is filled with 1 Tbspoon of tomato paste
I was so fed up with buying 1 can of paste and only using 1Tlbspoon
my mom told me to freeze it and everytime I use a cube I think how I saved a dollar
I've saved 12 dollars so far buy just freezing my can of tomato paste.


I have to admit I've never been a freezer lover
I always put my nose up to freezer food
meaning left over meals that were frozen
this goal was going to challenge me for sure

so why did I pick it?
well I read a fantastic article on the ins and out of the freezer
I had no idea how many things your could freeze
milk, cheese and herbs were a surprise
so i've been trying it out
here's some tips that i've tried and loved

when my milk is about to go sour
I pour it into ice cube trays and let it freeze
then transfer to a ziploc
frozen milk is perfect for our smoothies, or cream based soups,
or my favorite homemade ice cream
you should only keep it for 3 months frozen
i love not having to guzzle the milk or pour it down the drain
this method works great with any liquids i.e. broth, juices

fruits and veggies
we pretty much eat fresh fruit and veggies
i avoid buying canned and frozen goods when I can
so whenever there's a sweet sale on produce I like to stock up.
i learned the best way to freeze produce
cut it up into the size that you will mostly like use it
lay it out flat on a cookie sheet
once frozen transfer to a ziploc
this keep the produce from sticking together
most fruits and veggies don't need to be thawed before use
just throw it into the skillet for your stir fry.

my freezer totally saved me this past week
we had new beginnings and made 350,
yes three hundred and fifty fresh baked cookies!
thanks to my wonderful counselors and our freezers
we made the dough ahead of time
and everyone enjoyed warm from the oven cookies

general guidelines
anytime you freeze a meal
freeze it in 1-2 serving sizes. 
the smaller size helps to maintain flavor
try to lay things flat as often as possible for organization
always mark your bags with a permanant marker: include the date
plan ahead (i know it's hard but it's worth it)
and take it out 24 hours to thaw in the fridge before use

and remember if you are going to put forth all the energy to freeze
use it
i love nothing more than pulling something out of the freezer
and know that had i not frozen it it would have been wasted. 
and one day we'll have freezers that look like this...
don't forget the ben and jerry's

1 comment:

Medaris Family said...

Hey, long time. How are you?!! So I really want you to know that you are not blogging useless information. Here is my story. So I had all these fresh veggies in my fridge and I didn't want them to go bad, wondering what to do, I remembered reading you blog about freezing veggies. So all day long I have been chopping and preparing veggies for the freezer, and for future use. Yeah to Amanda for finding this awesome information that saved Aaron and I tons of Money. Now we too can go to Europe someday!! Thanks girlie!