Thursday, September 23

one my mind


I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been following the story of the Herriman fire. I have to admit I've been wrapped up in it the whole week. There are so many emotions associated with this story. Part of me thinks, it's a miracle that more houses weren't destroyed and that everyone got out safely. Then the other part of me thinks about how horrible it would be to lose your house in a fire, everything completely gone! All those pictures, and special papers, decorations, furniture, clothing, etc etc... rebuilding would be nightmare.
We had family night on Monday with my entire family-except my parents since they're vacationing, and we talked about the things we would grab if we were evacuating. I realized that I could be much more prepared for disasters than I am. What would you grab? Or what things have you done to prepare yourself and your family for disasters?
During these events it always reminds me to count my blessings. My problems are so small and simple compared to others. This week hasn't been the easiest for me just like all of us I've had a lot on my plate and there were times I wanted to complain about it. But I really have no right to complain about it when I have so many other great things going for me.
It sounds cliche but couldn't we all count our blessings a little bit more?

4 comments:

Greg and Sarah said...

yes! i should count my blessings more! thanks for this post!

Rachel said...

thanks for the reminder, I have following the fire also. I know clint and I have a designated meeting place during an emergency or disaster. we also have a folder that we keep all of our important documents in (ssn, birth cert., passports etc.). we also have a good sized first aid kit with about $100 in cash, food and first aid stuff etc.

our plan, if anything ever really did happen, would be to mt. bike up to our parents house, haha. hopefully nothing happens anytime soon :)

Jessica said...

Scary stuff. My mom lives out near there - they could see the fire from out of their back window. My sister helped some friends rescue 300+ animals from a sanctuary near there... crazy when it hits so close to home!

Amy said...

You're my inspiration! Thanks for the thoughts!!!