Tuesday, November 15

stolen

Just a couple days ago we were having a conversation with the family about having something stolen 
I've had a couple things of mine stolen in my life, my first experience was my camera
I'd just returned from my study abroad and two days later my camera was stolen
I hadn't uploaded my pictures yet, which was the worse part someone not only had my camera but 
200+ memories that could never be replaced. 

A couple of years ago Sam's bike was stolen off campus 
he'd been studying for a organic chemistry final for a few hours and packed up at about 1130 PM
he went to hop on his bike and it was gone
cable cut and nothing left 

One time I drove my parents fancy car to teach a class at the U and thought I'd locked it 
it's so fancy schmancy I didn't realize I hadn't locked it 
someone walking by must have noticed and stole an iPod and my tithing money 
which both had been stashed away in the center console
the worse part of that was feeling completely violated
someone that I didn't know was rummaging through the car when I wasn't around 

Well unfortunately we have a new stolen item to add to the list 
sunday morning we left our house early for a church meeting at 7AM 
Sam 'couldn't find our car' because our bike rack was stolen
someone in the middle of the night decided to maneuver our rack off the top of our car 
I should add that the rack is locked onto the car and it had to have taken some skill to get it off
we are extremely grateful no real damage was done to the car 
but again I have that violation feeling 
someone was touching my stuff 

needless to say we can't wait to have a locked garage in a couple weeks 


Seriously though... 
I almost feel more sad for the person stealing things than for the victim
how sad that someone is so desperate that they take other peoples things
they have no self worth, or self integrity. 
I've always been taught when faced with a temptation ask myself
'is it worth my integrity' 
the answer is always no. 

3 comments:

Anna Peterson said...

I hate when that happens. It just leaves you with a really weird feeling. Dave's nice bike tires got stolen once...they had even gone to the trouble of putting on different tires! Anyway, so sorry! I wouldn't be able to find my car either if someone took off our rack...

Rachel said...

I totally noticed that you didn't have the bike rack on your car this past Sunday...I figured you just took it off because biking season has come and gone. What a bummer deal! I can't believe someone would do that. Makes me nervous for our bike rack...

sanda said...

Rachel... seriously I've never heard of it but apparently it happens. Our sad car looks so naked now!