Sunday, April 3

power

The pioneer theatre had an amazing production of the diary of anne frank.  I've never been to the play and was excited when offered tickets.  Of course I didn't take any pictures, but I wish I would have.  Maybe one day all the regret of forgetting the camera will make me remember it!  We went to red butte cafe for dinner and i didn't even order the soup because the weather was so warm.  it was perfect for walking up to the theatre and back.  i love not being cold all the time.
the play was amazing.  if you ever have the opportunity to see it DO!

i've always been fascinated by world war 2.  despite the tragic stories and statistics i always want to learn more.  whenever i'm out of town and there's a holocaust museum it's top on the list for me to see.  like plays do it brought anne frank to life for me.  i knew that she was a real 13 year old girl but i never stopped and thought what that meant.  watching young anne on the stage developed her into a 'real' person.  she was just like one of my young women; boy crazy, loud, energetic, naive, and trying to figure herself out.  yes she was living during WW2 but before she went into hiding her life was very similar to any 13 year girl.

i can't imagine living life and then all of the sudden one man, just one person decides to take control and gets a group of supporters.  all the sudden you can't walk on the sunny side of street, you can't be out past 8, you can't go to the movies, you can't go to the same school... all of the sudden your life is filled with all these things you can't do.  it gets so extreme that you can't live at your house anymore and that you go into hiding, where you can't talk from 8 to 6, use the bathroom from 8 to 6, wear your shoes from 8 to 6, go outside, look out the window etc. etc.

anne frank had so many admiral qualities.  she was brave and strong.  she was smart and amazing with words.  she was thoughtful and a concerned friend.  she was loving and kind and forgiving of those around her.

her family, the von don family and dr dussle all stayed in hiding for over 2 years before they were captured.  when they were captured britain and america were invading the germans in france but the nazi's were still killing and capturing in the eastern parts of europe, they were just moving more rapidly.  Only Anne's dad survived until the end of the war, Anne died three days before her concentration camp was saved.  Anne's diary was the only piece of the family left for her dad.  The play ends with her dad coming back to the annex and finding Anne's diary.  i didn't even want to clap, it was moving.  words can't express how it felt to sit and watch this family struggle to survive and then all die within days of freedom.

it's amazing to me how much power one person can half.  naturally it makes sense.  when i was in sixth grade there was one girl who didn't like me.  i don't know why.  i never really knew her or did anything to my recollection to make her not like me.  but she happened to be in a class with all my friends but one.  that year ended up being so hard for me, all my 'friends' started to treat me different, they wouldn't talk to me sometimes, or wait for me to do to recess.  and when you are 11 that's devastating.  of course now i've forgiven the girl, i haven't seen her since 6th grade but it's a small example how much power we all have.

we have the power to do what's right or wrong.  and although those choices might not impact thousands of people they will impact those close to us.  one of the most important things about history is that we learn from it. this is part of my application to world war 2.  i have power.  i am going to use that power for good to better those around me.

No comments: